Back 2 Base-ix the rack, acrylic hobby desk organizer




Ever since the rest of my painting group decided to quit warhammer, I've had a pretty large table to myself.
Even so, I've managed to get so much stuff crammed in, that I still run out of space to put things.
This is the disaster that was my hobby area:


I decided it was time to do something about it, and after watching a blue table painting video on "the rack" from back 2 base-ix, this seemed the perfect solution.
The website offers multiple different parts, which connect with rare-earth magnets, to form a whole rack.
You can customize which parts you want, and which colors/material, and which paint types you want it to hold.
I opted for a multi-part rack, with space for tools, bits, GW paints, and vallejo paints.

Once it arrives, it's a little daunting.. all of it needs assembly, and I know what you're thinking, how hard can it be? Well... very, you definitely need the video manuals for at least the first section you try to put together.
Thankfully it comes with a DVD manual for this (although mine was missing, but after a quick message they sent me the DVD and a link to youtube versions to get going), so once you get the hang of it, it becomes quite easy to put together.

I received the following parts:

Main section with GW paints, and 2 drawers

Front view of main section
Bits box drawers

The bits boxes are included


Tool rack, with boxes for flock etc.
Tool rack front view.
 
Inner corner, with vallejo paint layout 


Inner corner front view
External corner with GW paint layout

As you may notice, the tool rack is currently missing its drawer, which is because I received a wrong sized one (another of the size for the main section), their customer service is pretty quick though, and a new one is already on its way.

All sections have 2 rare-earth magnets on the side, so once they're attached to each other they don't slide away from each other, and all sections come with rubber feet, so I've not seen any issues with keeping the whole thing together.

The only thing that was a bit dissapointing, is that the bits box doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the design. It's about half height, and simply box shaped so I had to leave it to the side.

Here's some pictures of the completed setup, with a much nicer hobby area as a result.

Side view from behind the vallejo corner

Tool rack, Internal and external GW corners, bits box on the far right.

Main section, tool rack, and internal GW corner

Vallejo corners, and main section

Main section and tool rack


Overview of entire rack



All in all, aside from some minor issues with delivery, which were rectified within half a hour, I'm extremely happy with the result.
I've got a nice hobby area now, with space for all my paints, and tools. and plenty of open space inbetween to work.
The rest of the table is suddenly nicely empty, so time to fit more models? ;)

Fire prisms and near disasters with varnish.





As I've had some issues with paint chipping off early on in my hobby "career", I, like many others, have taken to applying a spray of varnish over the models when I finish painting (or in between layers at times).

So far I've never had any issues, but when I recently finished a couple fire prisms, my day was pretty much ruined.

When I had let them dry, and took a look, they were literally hideous, the varnish had gathered in blotches all over the model, and it simply looked like the paint was peeling off over 90% of the model.

Having put quite a lot of work in to them in many sessions over the past few months, I went to bed extremely depressed, and very much not looking forward to having to redo them.

After a nights sleep, I realized the many times I've read about other people having issues with spray paint and varnish causing a huge amount of white dots, and other blemishes, and the advice I've usually given them myself (hey when annoyed with a model being ruined you don't think straight): Make sure it's not too cold, make sure it's not too warm, don't spray in high humidity, and if the varnish gets messed up, try another coat when it's better conditions, as due to the way varnish works, this will likely fill in the bits causing your ruined effect.

So having put the varnish in the living room for a while, rather then in the cold garage, I set about spraying them again, and presto, models restored.
The moral of the story being, if something happens that screws up your work, take a moment to calm down, think it through, and look for solutions, quite often you don't have to start over completely, but there's a simple technique to use to fix things.



Now as for how they look after managing to fix them, here's some pictures of the end result:

Both prisms front view

Both prisms front view

Both prisms top rear view

Both prisms rear view

Prism side view

Prism top down view